Alliance social Berlin against Racism: Call for a demonstration on 16 April, 1pm, starts from Oranienplatz
Social Berlin for all, stop racists! We won’t be divided!
According to the UN, 60 million people worldwide are fleeing from war, oppression and exploitation – more than at any time since the Second World War. Some of them find their way to Berlin. The conditions for refugees are, as ever, inacceptable. Many must still wait for days in the cold just to be registered, or sleep in gyms or makeshift shelters. At the same time, there are empty houses and unused property which is kept empty by speculators. For example, the former Federal Ministry of the Interior, with its 850 empty heated rooms, which is directly next to LaGeSo, costs the state over half a million Euros each month.
Right to stay, good housing, jobs and education for all
Even those who have lived here longer are finding it increasingly difficult to find affordable housing. Berlin needs tens of thousands more homes, and only about half as many are built each year as are needed. The public sector is under-financed and our colleagues in the civil service and hospitals are chronically overworked. School students must be taught in much too large classes and too often in containers. Already Berlin has 10 too few schools – if the planning does not start now, this figure will be around 80 by 2030.
Whether you’ve been living in Berlin for 70 years or 3 months, whether you are from Wedding, Dortmund or Syria: if you can’t afford expensive houses or private lessons, you are dependent on the city’s social infrastructure. Slash and burn policies (known as “kaputtsparen”) has brought the city’s infrastructure to its limits, not the arrival of more refugees. We urgently need investment in education, housing and social services!
Instead of further disenfranchising refugees, accommodating them in camps, banning them from working and threatening to deport them to war, poverty and discrimination, we need a proper right to asylum and equal rights for everyone who lives here!
Don’t give an inch to racists and fascists!
Racists, right-wing populists and fascists are mobilising nearly every day, to incite against migrants. Arson attacks on refugee homes and physical attacks on migrants, refugee aid workers and people who think differently are increasingly commonplace. The right wing claim that refugees are to blame for the housing shortage, the occupied gyms and the lack of money in local districts, and are using the social underfunding for their propaganda.
We stand firm against them, and won’t be divided! The borders do not run between people, but between above and below!
- The right to asylum for all people fleeing war, oppression, discrimination and poverty. No to Fortress Europe!
- Equal rights, free education and social participation for all people living here
- Provide affordable housing! For a massive urban housing program and the confiscation of accommodation kept empty for speculation
- For the provision of decentralized accommodation for refugees in houses as soon as possible.
- For the creation of new jobs in the public sector for education, child care, housing and civil service. No to the debt ceiling!
- The rich must pay: special tax on millionaires to fund social programmes
- An end to right-wing agitation – we need to go onto the offensive against right-wing populists and fascists!